(Short link to full story for mobile readers) From time to time, someone writes an article about “oddball” last meal requests by condemned prisoners. It was in the news again recently because Texas has now banned last meal requests – unless it is something normally offered or fixed in the prison’s kitchen.
Some examples of final meals include:
- Lawrence Russell Brower: two chicken-fried steaks, a bacon cheeseburger, an omelet, barbecued meat, fried okra, fajitas, pizza, ice cream, and peanut butter fudge
- Teresa Lewis: fried chicken, sweet peas, Dr. Pepper, and German chocolate cake
- John Wayne Gacy: deep fried shrimp, a bucket of KFC, French fries, and a pound of strawberries
- James Edwards Smith, who was executed in Texas in June 1990, takes the prize for one of the strangest last meal requests: a lump of dirt.
- Victor Feguer: a single, unpitted olive
- Timothy McVeigh: two pints of mint chocolate chip ice cream
So here’s this week’s thought provoker: since most people are very passionate about their favorite hamburgers, hot dogs, and pizza, if you, for any reason, where able to have a last meal consisting of one of these three favorites, what would your choice be, from where, and why?
My own? Pizza, definitely from my home-town favorite: Sammy’s, a local chain in the Upper Midwest. I’d order a sausage and pepperoni pie with green olives.
Hot dogs? Also day with my hometown favorite, Original Coney Island. My last hamburger? That would pose a dilemma for me, there are so many great ones in the country these days. If I had to choose one from the burgers I have had in the past year, it would definitely be the Bobcat Bite in Santa Fe!
How about you? If you had to choose one final hamburger, hot dog, or pizza, let us know what it is, and where from?