If you’re as big a fan of dogs and sausages as BurgerDogBoy is, occasionally you might want to check out the website of the National Hot Dog and Sausage Council, for fun facts to know and tell. Let’s run down a few salient points here:
- In 2010, US consumers spent more than 1.6 billion on hot dogs in grocery stores.
- Americans will eat enough hot dogs at major league ballparks this year to stretch to and from Citizens Bank Park in Philadelphia and Tropicana Field in St. Petersburg, Fla., the two sites of the 2008 World Series.
- Los Angeles residents consume more hot dogs than any other city, beating out New York and San Antonio/Corpus Christi, Texas.
- Chicago’s O’Hare International Airport consumes SIX times more hot dogs, 725,000 more than Los Angeles International Airport and LaGuardia Airport combined.
- On Independence Day, Americans will enjoy 150 million hot dogs, enough to stretch from D.C. to L.A. over five times.
- During Hot Dog Season, Memorial Day to Labor Day, Americans typically consume 7 billion hot dogs or 818 hot dogs consumed every second during that period
Top Hot Dog Consuming Cities (by volume)
1. Los Angeles
2. New York
3. San Antonio/Corpus Christi
7. South Carolina
10. Harrisburg/Scranton, Penn.
Source: Information Resources Inc.
Here’s a little tip from my kitchen to combine two of my favorite foods:
Strip off the casing of the uncooked sausage of your preference, whether it be Italian sausage, bratwurst, hot links….and form the meat into a patty. Voila! Italian sausage burgers on the grill.
A fun variation.
(Photo of mouth-watering dogs from the National Hot Dog and Sausage Council).